Thursday, December 29, 2005
Brokeback Chronicles of Narnia Mountain
 
I saw two movies yesterday, Brokeback Mountain and The Chronicles of Narnia.

For those not in the know, Brokeback Mountain is about two cowboys in the 60's who struggle to come to terms with feelings for each other in a rather unforgiving and intolerant society. It follows the men over 20 years as they fall apart and come back together despite trying to move on and live as straight men. It's heart wrenching watching them try and shut off that part of themselves in order to lead a more accepted life. If your mind is open enough when you watch you will forget that this is a "gay love story" and just see it as a love story like any other. If you are not so open it might be tough for you to watch two men embrace, hug and find love in each other's arms. How you see this movie is up to you.

It's a slow paced film, but it can really be no other way. Given the nature of the film it has to move at a slow steady pace in order to allow the proper character development. I thought it was great and I hope it helps people understand that gay love is just like any other love...

Also, there was a trailer for another film I'd like to see called "Imagine You & Me". It's about a couple about to get married, but before the wedding takes place the woman unexpectedly falls in love with someone else; another woman. Ah yes, nothing like a movie about straight people realizing they might not be so straight afterall! (see: Brokeback Mountain)

Moving right along.... to The Chronicles of Narnia. I read the book some 20 years ago when it was called "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe". Seeing as I can't recall what I had for lunch yesterday, it's safe to assume I wasn't going to remember anything about a book I read when I was 11 years old. That made it fun to go see the movie because I didn't have the foggiest clue what it was about (other than a lion, a witch and a wardrobe).

When I entered the theatre it was full of children.... one of my very favourite movie-going scenarios! (*ack!*) But hey, what did I expect.. it was a film directed at a younger audience afterall. I grabbed a seat at the back (read: as far from children as possible) and settled in for a 2 hour and 20 minute fantasy come true. I am happy to report that it was very well done, especially the lion that had me squinting at the screen and wondering.. is that thing real or computer animated?? I thought the kids in the movie were great (though the youngest one annoyed me a bit) and I continue to love Tilda Swinton (who bore very similar makeup in her role in Constantine). All in all, a great tale with fantastic special effects, though I have to say some parts are a bit dark/violent for really young kids... so beware.

Did anybody else see them? Any thoughts?

Before I go I'd like the person who nominated me for Best Personal Blog in the Jewish & Israeli Blog Awards to raise his or her hand. Come on, now! Well, whoever you are, I am flattered that I was thought of though I was not at all expecting to be nominated this year. The awards have taken on a much larger feel to them this year since Jerusalem Post is sponsoring it and I felt like it was way out of my league. Indeed, I am out of my league and don't expect my nomination to go far, but what they say is actually true.... I really am honoured that I was nominated. I had no idea I was even nominated! Thanks.

For the full listing of nominations you can see the list here.