Tuesday, December 27, 2005
random stuff
 
- Know what makes me happy? An empty email inbox. When I finally have time to sit down and answer all the emails that have been sitting there demanding my attention, and I get to clean up the mess that is my inbox. Oh how I love it. Maybe it's the neat freak in me, but I like my inbox spotless whenever possible. Since I haven't had a real home base or steady computer use for about 4 months this has been a rarity, but I have managed to achieve it twice now in the last week. Joy!

- Speaking of computer I can't wait to get mine set up properly again. I have my laptop setup in one room with internet access, and I have my desktop set up in another room to play my new games, F.E.A.R. and Star Wars Battlefront II. I have been playing Star Wars all day today but haven't got F.E.A.R. running smoothly yet. It's going to take some serious tweaking to get this resource-thirsty game to play. Star Wars is bringing me plenty of joy though as I get to run around as a Jedi. I am hoping I don't need to buy more RAM or a new video card to play F.E.A.R. Does anyone have a connection for vid cards and can help me get a deal? *wagwag*

- I. Am. Canadian.

- It's been raining the last few days which is melting my snow. This is making me very unhappy. I went running around in the snow earlier today and even tried to get my cat to join me, but it was a no go. He's not all that fond of cold wet feet it would seem. Coward!

- For some reason I can't get DVDs to play properly on my desktop computer; I have picture but no sound. Strange considering I have sound for everything else (video games, music) but not for the movies. I tried Realplayer and Windows Media but they both seem to be having the same problem. I mucked around with all the sound settings but got nowhere. Any ideas?

- Mmmmm! Free movie fonts!

- I have been reading a book called "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. I picked it up because he was originally a comic book writer whose work I enjoyed immensely and I heard great things about his book so I thought I'd try it. If you like Clive Barker, William Gibson, or Stephen King (and ya like strange, sometimes sci-fi stuff) you might like this. It's really quite a huge book (600+ pages) which would normally take me a year or two to read but I have been going through this quite quickly. It deals with wars between Gods of old (Norse, Greek, Irish Gods..etc..) and Gods of new (American Gods). Nice original idea and gives food for thought. Check it out!

- Bloggers I have met: Allison Kaplan, Rinat, Mulder, Chayyei Sarah, Civax, dark1r, Gilly, IfYouWillIt, Dave, Noorster, Imshin, Shai, John, Harry, Brian Blum, David, and I think a couple more from the Israeli Blogger Bash I went to last year..

- Bloggers I have talked to on the phone: Jonathan, Yael and Sam.

- Bloggers I wish I could meet: Tzaddi, Celti, Laurence, Occasional Bitch, Yael, Lisa, Peninah, Rat, Solomonia, Tango, Tech Wench, Janet, si, and Meryl.

- Bloggers I am most likely to meet next: Cassiopeia (she lives less than an hour away in my ole home town) and Sam.

- Speaking of bloggers, there's a new kid on the block; Mia, half Israeli half Swiss. There's a crazy combo, no? Go check out her blog, Mia's World.

- am I the only one who is annoyed that Blogger's spellcheck always questions the word "blog" (or any variation thereof)? You'd think that would be in Blogger's list of words/dictionary.

- So Google has finally come out with an instant messaging/chat program (a la "MSN Messenger") called Google Talk and I had been hmm-ing and ha-ing over whether or not to bother installing it. Finally dark1r encouraged me to download it, so I did. *shrug* I haven't actually found anyone online at the same time as me to try the damn thing out yet, so I can't give you much of a review. Such is the problem with new programs. I think y'all oughtta download it and try it out with me.

- Batman's boner.

- am I too old to play with Lite Brite?

- is it wrong of me to laugh when Dave over at Israellycool makes fun of the French?

- I have to say, it pleased me to no end that someone found my blog by typing this into Google: "I am who I am today because of the choices I made yesterday. I regret nothing."

- I am hopelessly addicted to a web surfing tool called "Stumble Upon" (I got it as a Firefox Extension, but anyone can get it and use it). It allows you to enter in topics of interest into a list (which can be refined as often as you like) and it finds random cool websites of interest to you. You give it the thumbs up or down as to whether or not you like it and it helps the program to 'learn' about what you enjoy and directs you to similar pages. I have spent HOURS using it and it has me enjoying just plain ole surfing again. In fact, I'm gonna go do some stumbling right now!