Monday, December 26, 2005
one year ago
 
Tonight is the second night of Chanukah and I find it hard to celebrate. Here I have been feasting on mounds of food with my family and friends and squealing over my presents, while thousands of people halfway around the world are still trying to put their lives back together after the tsunami that hit one year ago today. It makes me feel a bit guilty and shallow when I think about what they are going through and what I have just been enjoying over the last 24 hours. Life is good for me, and I hope I always remember that and remain humble. I watch memorials being held on tv and I mourn for the people who lost so much. I have heard mixed reports on whether or not things are getting better over there; some reports say that remarkable progress has been made, while others say that there are thousands of people still living in squalor. I pray that the progress continues and that these people feel hopeful once again...