Friday, February 13, 2004
poking a sleeping bear
 
First of all, let me direct you to another blog, Israel Midnight Cafe where JJ tackles two issues that I wanted to draw attention to. First is the huge issue of the Security Fence that Israel is building between themselves and "Palestinian territory". People seem to be forgetting that there are many other fences in the world JUST like them, serving the same purpose, and instead are condemning Israel for reasons that aren't even altogether clear to me (where were these protesters when the U.S. built a similar fence to keep the Mexicans out?? and they only wanted freedom, they weren't even trying to blow up Americans!!). Anyway, go see JJ's post on that.

Secondly, our man JJ has brought up a topic that I have been avoiding mentioning until I have more information; I don't like to launch opinions until I have the facts (and I still won't until I have seen the movie). What I am talking about is Mel Gibson's new film The Passion of the Christ. Many Jews are concerned that it portrays Jews in a negative light and furthers the myth that Jews killed Jesus (read a book, folks. it was the Romans). Anyway, I am still reserving judgment on the matter until I have seen the movie. I am actually afraid of it causing tensions among some of my friends, like si. This will no doubt be a very hot topic, and I for one am concerned that IF this is the case, and Jews are put in a negative light, this could do untold damage and further growing global anti-semitism; it is already reaching levels the likes of which we have not been seen in Europe since the last World War. I'm not saying this movie is going to cause people to hate Jews, I'm just worried that uninformed people will watch it and the fire will be fanned. *fingers crossed* I sincerely hope this is not the case.
JJ's views on this are much less ambiguous (and he brings up some interesting points, give it a read here).

Other than that I don't have a whole lot to say today. I start the new job at the dive shop in just over an hour! That's pretty cool. I came home from my other job a bit early to catch a catnap. Seems I was a punk and was out all night at a Buckwheat Zydeco concert. *grin* It was SO much fun!! That guy has to be...what? 75? (I have no idea..old. lol) and he is the last of the true showmen. He loves his audience, interacts with them, and has a grin on his face the whole time. I was amazed at his level of energy and obvious love for his fans. Really, a great show. Worth staying up late for. I just felt bad for him (and his band) freezing their little butts up here in chilly Toronto (they are from Louisiana). But hey...they lived, and a great time was had by all.