Thursday, January 01, 2004
A new dawn
 
Well the last 24 hours have been crazy. I rang in the new year with a bunch of my oldest and dearest friends; it was great fun. It was another potluck, so we all pitched in and made dinner together, and was it ever good!! Mmmmm. And then we took lots of pictures, played cards, played a game of Trivial Pursuit, and in a drunken stupor one of my friends read Green Eggs and Ham as we all gathered around him, listening intently. It was pretty funny, and lucky for him I caught a lot of it on video. I'm sure at the time he thought he sounded really poetic, but in fact he sounded like ...well, a drunken Italian reading children's stories. LOL!

I found playing cards to be a particularly frustrating activity, as those who had been drinking had an awfully hard time following what was going on (I myself don't drink....I just live vicariously through others. lol). Eventually we gave up after two games and went and had dessert. In the end we gathered around the tv and watched the countdown and cheered as we ushered in a new year, and we gave each other big hugs and kisses. *grin* I had a great time, as I knew I would; this group of friends really gives me that warm and fuzzy feeling.

And what would be a new year's party without someone getting so drunk they end up vomitting profusely? Yes, the one girl who was annoying me most during cards had passed out on the couch after the countdown, and then abruptly got up a while later and ran to the bathroom. Let this be a lesson to you, kids: don't mix wine, sambuca and rye. Frankly, I'm surprised she didn't throw up sooner. lol. And it reminded me of why I don't drink anymore. Blecch.

Today I got up bright and early (no easy feat after being out all night) to join a group of my guy friends (no not the usual band of nerds....a different group of geeks, in fact) for a day of geek fun. No, I can't tell you what geek activity we were partaking in, for I have found that it gets me nothing but long term mocking. All you need to know is that I spent all day and most of the night enjoying the company of more of my friends (I kinda dig that I have different groups of friends for different things, ya know?). One of the guys was back home visiting from Japan, so I was *really* happy to see him. It's been about 2 years, so it was great to see him again. He is one of the most interesting guys to talk to...try to imagine a little white Jewish guy speaking fluent Japanese, while teaching English at a Christian boys school in Japan. It boggles the mind, and he has plenty of stories to tell. LOL. I like to ask him all sorts of stuff coz I find the culture so interesting.

Anyway, I'm home now and exhausted. I didn't get nearly the sleep I should have for all these activities, and I have to work on Friday and Saturday. You can imagine how happy I am about that. *grumblegrumble* Bitter would be more accurate.

Anyone got any good new year's stories? resolutions? (I'm thinking to not make resolutions, coz who really sticks to them? we'll see...if I have time tomorrow I'll compile a list to share)