Wednesday, November 05, 2003
quitting while ahead
 
Why oh why do movie makers need to take a perfectly good concept and drive it into the ground with sequels? WHY??
Do you have any idea what I would give to have the hands of time turned back so that George Lucas could perhaps rethink and nix his plans for those bloody awful Star Wars prequels he did? The classic three are good, I love them all (it took me some time to come to terms with the Ewoks, but I'm okay with them now). But then he had to make those god awful "prequels" and he made me wanna cry for destroying something so near and dear to my heart (do NOT even get me started on Jar Jar Binks). Same with Alien. Loved the first two movies, and I only WISH they had quit while they were ahead. But oh no, they had to go on and make two more crappy films to really ruin it for me. Must greed force people to make bad movies!? Do I NEED to even talk about Police Academy 7??

I think you can see where I'm going with this and the latest Matrix movie, right? *sigh*
I think it's safe to say I'm in the majority when I say that the second one seriously paled in comparision to the first. Well folks, strap in, coz the shitmobile is about to take you for another ride.
In it's defense, I was pleased to see that some of the mistakes made in the second film didn't occur again in the third; the length of the fight scenes were within reason (unlike the exhausting Neo vs. multiple Agent Smith's fight). This is good, coz all that fight served was to offer a break to go to the washroom. Also, the effects were much more believable...unlike a certain fight scene between the protagonist and an agent x 1,000 in the previous movie. All this was a welcome step up.

But what I missed the most was the brilliant dialogue from the first film; that and the subtle humour. Remember the window washing scene when Mr. Anderson was getting a lecture from his boss? Brilliant. As was the rest of the dialogue with it's clever little quips.
Not only was that missing from the second and third film, but by this last one it had been replaced with the most painfully CHEESY dialogue I have heard since Spider-Man. To quote my friend as we were leaving the theatre tonight: "Well, I woulda brought a bottle of wine had I known there'd be so much cheese!"
Oh....OH...it hurt me right to my soul. If it's one thing I can't abide by, it's bad dialogue, especially horrific one liners (aren't YOU sick of hearing "I'll be back" out of Arnie's mouth?? yeah well good luck California, YOU voted him in!)

I can't even talk about this right now. I need to stew in it a bit.
Am I alone? Did anyone else see it? Help me see the good in this film, PLEASE.
(and you can ALL thank me for not putting any spoilers in this rant, despite my anger for the Wachowski Brothers)