Monday, May 17, 2004
"it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine..."
 
Well? Does it look like I was successful at forgetting the world's woes for at least one day? This was taken yesterday when I went downtown with a few of my girlfriends. We went to an area of Toronto known as the St. Lawrence Market where people set up tables and sell all kinds of weird stuff. It was a very interesting experience, I'll say that much. After that we went down to the beaches area (yes we have beaches here in Toronto, get an atlas people!! it's FRESH water!) and took a long and wonderful stroll down the boardwalk. I was amused by all the activities going on....beach volleyball, frisbee, bbqs, kite flying, rollerblading, soccer, etc...in what we Canadians would deem as hot weather, but much of the rest of the world would still consider cold (I think it reached 22C, or 71.6F). People were decked out in shorts and bathing suits and some were even sprawled out on the beach suntanning! We're a hardy bunch, what can I say.

Anyway, after that we sat and got a drink at one of the restaurants along the way and checked out a few little shops. It was immensely fun, and I'd love to show you more pictures but I have a hate on for Textamerica right now, the people who host my photoblog. It's a free service, so I guess I can't complain; you get what you pay for.

My outing yesterday allowed me to escape from the world for just one day. However, now that the week has started again, it's back to reality in all it's ugliness. Do I need to tell you what's going on or can I assume you kids follow the news? Well, just when I think it couldn't get any worse in Iraq I was wrong. I was very disappointed when I woke to news this morning that the leader of the U.S.-appointed Iraqi Governing Council, Izzedine Salim, had been killed in a suicide attack. I'm not sure if these insurgents quite understand what a friggin' stupid idea that was on SO many levels. Do they not realize that this will only serve to force the U.S. to stay longer and longer?? Ucch. Don't even get me started. Anyway, a new leader has been sworn in...a brave soul ready to step up to bat. I wish him luck, he doesn't have an easy task before him.

And Israel.....no, I can't even get into that. Couldn't on the weekend, and I can't now either. Things are getting messy in the Gaza Strip. If you are interested and haven't already read about it, you can go here.

And before I go, let me say a big welcoming hi to a few search engine gems: first one is from someone who typed "skydome,washroom,mirror,gay" into Google. Disturbingly, I came in 4th in that search. For those who aren't in the know, the Skydome is the baseball venue here in Toronto (and for concerts and various other activities). I'd like to know just WHAT this person was looking for. Very odd.
And I'd like to wish the best of luck to the young lad who typed "i am a boy that is usually very shy and nervous with girls what should i do" into Yahoo's search engine and got ME as the very first hit. A big disappointment I'm sure, as my blog would have been of NO help on the matter. Good luck, I hope you get it figured out before you're 30.