Tuesday, January 20, 2004
I will survive
 
I tried to get to the doctor's office today, I really did. But I couldn't get an appointment with MY doctor, and if I wanted to do a "walk-in" with another doctor (see one without an appointment) the wait was an hour or more. Yeah, no thanks. I feel crappy enough as it is. My lungs will have to wait until tomorrow; I have an appointment at 11:45am.

I am in a good mood despite feeling like crap, however, because I have just arrived home from my Hebrew class. I could drone on and on about how much I love it, but I think you've all gotten the point. But let me say this, an interesting thing happened in class today. Someone asked why it was that there was as a surveillance camera outside the door to the offices/classroom. (you have to buzz an intercom to be let in, and the teacher can see who is at the door before letting them in) My teacher said, "Of course we have security here, we are a group of Jews! We have enemies!". It was a frightening realization that we have to be careful all the time, and watch where we gather even if it's for something as innocent as learning a language. This eventually launched into a class discussion in which a group of Jews discussed and tried to understand why people hate them. Just what is the defining reason for anti-semitism? Why are Jews so hated? It's a topic I don't even pretend to understand because I most definitely don't. I have never hated someone for their religion, and I hope I never do. Even in my struggle to understand the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, I have not gone off on tirades about hating Muslims. Often I get angry, and often it can become misguided and/or misdirected, but I do my best to rise above it and try to understand. I ask questions of those patient enough to answer, and I get my hands on as much information as I can. I read and read some more, and I try to read from all perspectives. For how can you understand if you don't hear all sides? I don't think all Muslims are evil, but I believe that the religion often fosters hate. I believe in the state of Israel, but I don't always agree with it's methods, and don't believe it is free from fault in it's actions.

Anyway, I'm going way off track. I could sit here for hours and hours trying to understand why people who have never even met me hate me, and would kill me given the chance. Just for being a Jew. I feel so naive, but I just don't understand.

Here, let's lighten up the topic of religion a little. Check out The Bible, as told through Lego..in "The Brick Testament". And please, try and maintain a sense of humour, it's meant to be tongue-in-cheek. If you are easily offended, don't bother (but I have piqued your curiousity, now haven't I? heh).