Thursday, December 18, 2003
today's lesson
 
My day started off okay, and then a chain of events lead to what one would classify as a "bad day". Nothing big, but it's the kind of stuff that if you are not in the right state of mind when it comes, can really set you off. Events that I could normally handle somehow seemed like the biggest deal in the world, and I was ready to go postal.
It seemed like a simple assignment.....get 18 cans of spray paint from a particular store. Due to the quantities, I might be forced to travel to 2 or more, and buy the stores out. I shan't bore you with the details, but let's just say the staff in the first store were less than helpful. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they were ANTI-helpful. I walked out of that store empty handed and fuming. I drove to the next location and was met by similarly helpful staff. I really started stewing in my anger and had visions of running up and down the aisles with my arms out, knocking everything off the shelves just to get someone's attention. Maybe THEN they could help me find what I was looking for. I eventually found what I was looking for withOUT the help of the staff. I paid, I left.

Anyway, long story short, I got back to work in a notably worse mood than when I left (rush hour traffic really helped heighten my elated mood). I left work positively stewing (my boss would NOT let me leave until I had calmed down, as I tend to drive like a homicidal maniac when I'm mad) and the rush hour traffic was now worse than ever. My mood was growing. The drive home from work is about 35 minutes. Plenty of time to think about how pissed off I am. It starts off that I'm pissed off at the stupid sales people in the store, to being pissed off at all the friends who ever let me down or stabbed me in the back, to pretty much being pissed off at the whole world. I planned to order pizza, forget shopping tonight as planned, and aim for a long night of tv viewing. I was in a bad mood, and I didn't wanna be around people, and I sure as hell did NOT want to be out shopping.

When I arrived home I opened my mailbox...and what did I see? A cheque? Made out to ME?? Who is this from??
My landlord had written me cheque for $100; apparently it's interest on my deposit. WOO HOO!!! I cheered. I needed a break today, and I found it in my mailbox when I got home. Who'da thunk it?
Wow....sometimes you just never know you're gonna get a break....and often it comes just when you need it. Gotta keep the faith, baby!

On a parting note, let us have a moment of silence for the retirement of a fine Israeli invention. It seems that after 50 years of service, the Uzi, a submachine gun named after it's creator, is being phased out. It was a staple in the Israeli army, and a national icon. There's more info on it here if you are interested.