Saturday, July 15, 2006
oh they did NOT just do that....
 
Being on the road all the time means I am out of touch with the news much of the day. Wednesday I was straining to listen to some damn French news station on the radio (I was in eastern Ontario, near the Quebec border) to try and hear the report about Israel, but my French is so bad I could only make out bits and pieces. Yesterday when I got home and turned on the news I gasped as I heard that an Israeli ship was hit in the water by either an unmanned drone packed with explosives (and flown into the ship) or a missile. 4 soliders missing off the ship, one since found dead.

Then this morning I woke up to hear that Tiberias, another town I loved spending time in last September, was hit by rockets from Lebanon. I am shocked that the rockets could reach that far and I am getting really angry that they are hitting some of the towns that are closest to my heart. I am also stunned with the swift speed at which this has all been escalating... it has been simply breathtaking.

For an amazingly beautiful if not heartbreaking view on the crisis go to the Lebanese Blogger Forum and read a post in which a Lebanese declares his desire for peace with Israel (and declares that Israel is not to blame for the situation! be still my heart!). Be sure to read the comments that follow for an interest dialogue between the two sides. Hat tip: Allison. For a post about my time along the Lebanon border last fall click here.

Meanwhile, it's Saturday and I am off to work for the day. Evidently I no longer have a life or even a desire for one. :-/ Upon my return I am packing up and in the morning I'm flying down to the US (Pennsylvania) for a week of training. I'll probably post again tonight before I head out tomorrow..... I hate to think of what the news will bring when I get out of work later today.

UPDATE: It's 11pm and I have finished all my paperwork for the week and I am packed and ready to head to the airport in the morning; my alarm is set for 5:45am. *groan* I am taking my laptop so if I have the time and energy I'll try and give an update from Pennsylvania, and I will of course be keeping my eyes on the news while I am there (though I will be out of touch during working hours). Let's keep our thoughts and prayers on the crisis....