Monday, January 31, 2005
what? can't a girl take a few days off from blogging??
 
Can someone tell me why I had to find out on an Israeli news site that there is a large protest this week by Jewish students in Toronto because Arab students on the University of Toronto campus are holding weeklong lecture series called "Israeli Apartheid Week"? Apparently I don't pay enough attention to local news coz I didn't hear anything about that. Then again... did it make the news here? Either way it's quotes like this that make me uneasy: "We're trying to educate people on the fact that Israel is an apartheid state and not simply a military occupier of the Gaza," said Hazem Jamjoum, a member of the student group. "Today we'll talk about the origins of the conflict, the 1948 war, when the first half of Palestine was colonized."
Yikes. But just a quick question.... isn't it the Palestinians that want every last Jew out of the West Bank and Gaza, while Israel has all kinds of Arabs living in her land who are (*gasp!*) voting, living and working and (*doublegasp!*) holding political positions in the Israeli Parliament?? So remind me again.... who's the creator of the feeling of apartheid in the region?

Moving right along....
I wasn't even planning to post today either, but an adoring fan has drawn me out with a plea for a new post so here I am. I haven't posted because I was a busy girl all weekend, and then today and tomorrow I am on the road, not in my office. My weekend was pretty good... spent time with the beau, and had a friend of mine crash on my couch Saturday and Sunday night. I like having guests, it doesn't happen too often. :-)

Saturday was a gorgeous day as we experienced warmer temperatures than normal (I think it was a toasty -6C/-21F) and considering we had just lived through a week of -35C/-31F temperatures, we thought we had died and gone to heaven. Indeed the temperatures we SO tropical that I decided to shovel my friend's driveway for him since he was out of town and coming back the next day. I foolishly thought... it's a gorgeous day! I could use some fresh air and exercise! And so I got out the shovel, took my coat off (yes, it was that warm... at least.. to a Canadian it was) and shovelled until I was about ready to drop. Seemed like a good idea at the time but my muscles were *killin'* me the next day.

Sunday I got together with two of my friends and we did a movie marathon at the theatre and saw 3 movies. Million Dollar Baby.... very good (and I need me a body like Hilary Swank's in this film!!). Vera Drake..... also good but quite depressing. By the end of both movies we were feeling a bit low, as they weren't exactly the most light-hearted of films. And then we saw what could quite possibly be classified as the worst movie ever. In fact, it was so craptacular that I'm gonna have to go ahead and kick Van Helsing (or Van Helshit, as I like to call it) out of first place and replace it with Alone in the Dark. What was Christian Slater thinking? Seriously, did it read well on paper?? We may never know, but he could have been spared some embarrassment if only it had gone straight to video.

Anyway! That's all I've got to say for now. If you want to see some cool wintertime pictures that I took this morning head over to my photoblog for a quick peek. As always, be sure to click on the thumbnails to get the larger images.. you wanna see the pretty snow, don'tcha??