Tuesday, January 11, 2005
Mrs. Celestial Stewart
 
I'm not sure if you're all aware of this, but I am in love with Jon Stewart. My love affair with him began back in October when I was stuck at home for 4 weeks as I recovered from surgery; it was then that I found him on the 9am timeslot at Comedy Central. Just when I felt my life couldn't get any less funny, this man made me laugh. I enjoy his humour for it is intelligent and well thought out, and often times just silly and ridiculous. Somehow he mixes education and humour when discussing politics and isn't afraid to go out on a limb and say something that much be condemned by the general voting public. He puts "freedom of speech" to the test.

I was lucky enough to get two books of his from my friends this past holiday season: "America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction" and "Naked Pictures of Famous People" . The "America" book was banned by Wal-Mart back in October when it came out because it contains a fake photo of the members of the U.S. Supreme Court in the nude. As outlined in this article: "The picture, on page 99 of the book, shows the heads of the Supreme Court justices grafted onto naked, sagging bodies. The book supplies cut-outs of judicial robes so readers can 'restore their dignity by matching each justice with his or her respective robe.'" Not as quick out of the starting gates but just as passionate about the matter, Mississippi libraries banned the book for the very same reason this week. And then a day later the ban was overturned. Seems ya just can't keep people away from Jon. They want Jon! Give them Jon.

If you haven't taken the time to watch his show and are looking for some intelligent political humour, I highly suggest you give him a try. The show seems to be on at a variety of times (11pm, 12am, 9am) so check your local listings and set up the vcr if you have to.