Wednesday, July 28, 2004
cake and fish
 
the cake I made for my safta's 84th birthdayWell, it's bright and early and I am hitting the road; I have a 4.5 hour drive ahead of me, so I'm trying to get an early start. I wouldn't want to be late for grandma's birthday meal!

I am trying to relax about the prospect of being away from a computer for a whole 2 -3 days (I'll be back Saturday night, maybe Sunday morning). Seems ridiculous, I know, but I fear being away from the news mostly. This morning when I got up I checked the news online (as I do *every* morning) and had a bit of a scare as I saw "suicide bomber" as the breaking news headline on CNN.com and thought something had happened in Israel. I was relieved to see it was in Iraq, and then felt horrible for thinking that. It's a tragedy no matter where it is and I should never feel like it's better them than Israel. My prayers are with the Iraqis on this difficult day.

As for me, I must go off and celebrate life; not everyone reaches their 84th birthday, but my grandma is a tough cookie and she deserves a big celebration! She has outlived all her siblings (younger and older), a spouse, 2 of her own daughters and countless friends and family members. And after all that she is not bitter but instead grateful to be alive and able to fish! *grin* And so am I!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANDMA!!!