Tuesday, July 06, 2004
Brit Milah
 
Things have been just a bit crazy this week, and it's only Tuesday. Yikes.
I went to see Spider-Man 2 with my geek friends and had a *fantastic* time. I absolutely loved the movie and found it to be a marked improvement over the first movie, which I greatly disliked. After the movie my friends and I got caught in the most spectacular rainstorm I have seen in years, complete with flooded streets. It was awesome, I love chaotic weather (though didn't enjoy sitting in soggy clothes). We all went back to my friend's house and held the baby and took pictures and ate pizza and watched the Simpsons. Life is good.

Monday morning I was honoured to join my friend and his wife for the brit milah (or "bris") ceremony for their new baby. For those not in the know, that's where the new Jewish boy is circumcised. The friends and family gather together to mark the occasion and celebrate. It's an event that makes most people squirm, and I was fine until I saw the look on my friend's face as his baby let out a yelp. He looked so pained for his new baby boy and teetered a bit, trying not to pass out. It broke my heart it was so sweet. Anyway, all ended well, the baby was asleep 5 minutes later and we were all eating bagels (the ceremony was at 8am, so breakfast was served). It was wonderful to be a part of this time in my friend's life.

On my way to work after the event I got a call from my sponsee who is once again in crisis. This has been an ongoing thing since April and it won't be resolved anytime soon. I told her I would meet up with her after work and we would talk about what she's going to do. It was a long night spent in tears much of the time, only taking a time out long enough to eat some pizza. I am quite worried for her, as times are going to get much darker before there's light, and I'm not sure how to get her through this. For now, I can only be there to offer support and love. We will figure it out together.

However, after my sponsee left my evening took a pleasant upturn... I had my first phone conversation with another Blogger! Jonathan gave me a call from Montreal and we talked about life, Israel and politics. It was a nice way to end my evening, and it's always nice to hear from someone you know only from his/her blog. Gives a voice to go with the blog. :-) Thanks for calling, Jon!

And today is a big day..... my very favourite friend and neighbour-across-the-hall (Princess Blondie), takes possession of her new home today. She and her boyfriend Bruno will be out of my building by the end of the week. And while I am absolutely thrilled for them I am also very very VERY sad. Having them live in the building, right next door, has been a wonderful experience. *sigh* I can't even talk about it right now... I just wanna focus on being happy for them. We'll just have to make Survivor night at their new place now. :-)