Friday, January 27, 2006
Friday Fragments
 
- I used to use Yahoo music to stream music to my computer whilst I puttered around and I liked it well enough. It was like having the radio on, ya know? Now I have been using Pandora after some guy on the radio urged me to try it (and Mulder mentioned it to me once too). Pandora uses a much more sophisticated system than Yahoo music as they have started a "Music Genome Project". This allows them to take a song or group you have said you liked and break it down to it's essentials and offer suggestions as to what else you might like based on your taste.

Points go to Yahoo for: better control over the songs (I can say I dislike a song by a band without shunning the band entirely. Pandora gives a group 2 strikes and then it's off the playlist). Yahoo has a great rating system for rating how much you like a group instead of making it a black and white, like/hate scenario. Hey sometimes I like a group but really hate one or two of their songs! Really, so far as fine tuning what you listen to, Yahoo has Pandora beat, hands down. However, Pandora is still evolving and I think they will catch up in due time.

Points to Pandora: the sound quality is *worlds* better than Yahoo music. It's also much better at offering suggestions as to what else you might like and even offers an explanation as to why they chose it for you (ie: "Based on what you've told us so far, we're playing this track because it features synth rock arranging, electronica influences, a subtle use of vocal harmony, mild rhythmic syncopation, and repetitive melodic phrasing."). You can create up to 100 different radio stations; I have a station of 60's music, Hip-Hop, Old Skool, Piano, DJ beats, and my "everyday mix", for instance. So depending on your mood you can have a specific type of music playing. Go on, go give it a try!

- Have you ever been on the blog called PostSecret? "PostSecret is an ongoing community art project where people mail-in their secrets anonymously on one side of a homemade postcard." It is amazing and disturbing all at the same time. Some revealed secrets are funny, some are scary, and some are just so sad (this one was *brilliant* and really spoke to me). As the saying goes, we are only as sick as our secrets...

- If PostSecret strikes your fancy you may also want to check out FOUND Magazine: "We collect FOUND stuff: love letters, birthday cards, kids' homework, to-do lists, ticket stubs, poetry on napkins, telephone bills, doodles - anything that gives a glimpse into someone else's life. Anything goes...". It's very interesting what they find scribbled on paper and drifting through the streets...

- blah blah blah Syria and Iran are bedfellows now blah blah blah Hamas may be crazy but Fatah supporters are crazier blah blah blah Iran keeps saying very stupid things blah blah blah...

- I will admit it, I like me some celebrity gossip. I was upset when Brad and Jen broke up and I was upset when the cause seemed to be Angelina (coz I love Angelina, but I can't abide by a home wrecker). Whatever. My point is, that I do like to hear news about the madness that Tom Cruise has been exhibiting, but I draw the line at annoying talk about Britney Spears. I really couldn't care how much she weighs now or what her hubby is up to. But if you like some gossip and cleverly written commentary on the matter this blog is for you. It's pretty funny stuff!

- My new job starts on Monday. Yay!!! My district manager is coming up from the States next week to train me during the week, and then Feb 13th I am heading down to Tampa (Florida) for a few days of training there. I might be going to New York somewhere in between, but I'm not sure yet (mostly because my boss isn't sure yet). Tampa offer a nice break from the chilly weather and gives me an opportunity to shop for some of my favourite things (and I am on a mission to find this).

- This is a great idea for amazing office hijinx (Sam, I think it's perfect for you in your final days on the job!): Office Poltergeist.

- Shabat Shalom! Have a great weekend!