Monday, January 23, 2006
"don't forget to boat!"
 
It's a spellbinding day here in Canada as we head to the polls and choose a new government. Can'tcha just FEEL the excitement in the air..... zzzzzzzzz.....

Have you noticed the barely existent fanfare that comes with it, compared to say, the American elections? We keep it short and sweet. It's announced, there's 56 days of mudslinging and debates (and that's considered a long campaign!) and then we all go to the polls to choose the lesser of the available evils. My, it's dizzying just talking about! ..zzzzzz...

However, for some reason, I *love* voting. I'm not sure if it's just an appreciation for the fact that I can or the hilarity that I'm actually allowed to vote (in my mind I'm still 17, evidently). I also really enjoy the process of it; when I walked in this morning the polls were quiet. Most people vote at night, I suppose. And the ladies there were extremely polite and helpful. It was all just so darned cordial.

When I got my ballot I headed to the little cardboard blind that gives you the illusion of privacy. There I stood and stared at the ballot for several moments. I even sang the Jeopardy song that plays while counting down when the contestants have a time limit to write down their final answers. You know the one... "Doo dee do do, Doo dee do. Doo dee do dee DO do do do do..". Anyway, I hummed that outloud. Then I cursed one of the politicians on the ballot outloud. Then I decided it was about time I stopped making myself look insane so I held my breath and made my X. The whole process took less than 5 minutes, I swear to god. It was amazing. If only I could have stretched the joy out longer!

What did I vote? Well, it was tough. The Conservatives scare the bejesus out of me for a whole boatload of reasons. The Liberals are corrupt, the Green Party is fairly unknown here and the New Democratic Party guy has this distracting mustache......
*sigh*

I'm not saying what I voted but I'll tell ya, I'll be holding my breath in the morning when I wake up and turn on the news to see who won. Please lord, don't make it Stephen Harper. And if you insist on making it Harper (why have you forsaken me, lord?!?) then please make it a minority government. Thx.