Sunday, January 08, 2006
bits and bites
 
-> the world is still holding its collective breath over Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and his brush with death. Will he make it? Won't he? Sadly, it doesn't matter because his political career is over either way. And leave it to the president of Iran to pray for Sharon's death. Ptooh! Typical.

What did surprise me (though I'm not sure why) were the Israelis (read: those expelled from Gaza) who were also waiting for his death. Shame on you. At least some settlers aren't so bitter. Oh and DON'T even get me started on the Christian quack Pat Robertson and his comments on the matter.

Me? I'm more afraid of the guy who's in charge now that Sharon is out of the picture. Look at that monkey!!

-> I'm sure most people outside of Canada don't know this, but we have a big election coming up. Like other governments all over the world, ours has been plagued by scandals and now it's time to decide what is going to be done about it. I have no idea who I am going to vote for and in fact this topic caused a crazy, fiery debate with my friends at a potluck dinner recently (which secretly made me happy because I didn't know my friends had it in them, that they cared, or that they were that well informed. I was proud and happy that our generation is involved).

So let's see.. there are three major parties in Canada (and lots of little ones). The Conservatives and Liberals and then the NDP (New Democratic Party). Hmmmm... let me see. Vote for the Conservatives..... (pro Iraq War, anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage) or the Liberals (scandalous money grubbing rat bastards). Yeah, no thanks. NDP? I dunno.... they haven't really impressed me. But they aren't the Liberals or Conservatives, which is good. How about the Marijuana Party? (oh god, only in Canada!!)

Part of the debate among my friends was "wasted votes". One couple (whose very marriage is on the line with every election) was divided on this issue; the husband (Conservative) was upset that his wife would vote for an independent party (the Green Party) because they have absolutely no chance of winning anyway (quite true). Therefore her vote would be wasted because it wouldn't make a difference. He (and many people) feel that you should vote for one of the two parties to help bring in a majority government. So, even if you don't like the Liberals (for example) you would vote for them because you dislike the Conservatives even more and you don't want to see them win the election. Get it?

Anyway, I don't want to vote to spite another party. I never have and I won't start now. If change is going to come it will come slowly and if you want to see a new government, a new option, you have to start voting accordingly. Don't like the big 3? Then vote for another party. Each vote translates into money ($1.25?) towards the party. The more votes the more money they get for the next election. It's slow, but what big change isn't?

If you are reading this and you are Canadian please be sure to vote on January 23rd and do it from the heart.

-> it has finally stopped raining and has been snowing. Colour me happy.

-> um. what the hell is this?? Some people are just weird I guess.

-> so I saw a headline on CNN.com that read: "Study: Free booze benefits homeless alcoholics" which of course caught my interest. When I clicked on it to read it I had to laugh when I saw it was a dumb idea cooked up in Toronto.

-> ... which reminds me. Today I went and put flowers and a stone I picked up in Israel on the grave of my friend Shane who died in 2001; he would have been 31 today. Instead he died at the hands of a 19 year old girl who decided to drink and drive. Shane was mere months away from celebrating 10 years of sobriety at the age of 26. His tribute can be found here on the website for Mothers Against Drunk Driving. He was a good man, a good Jew and a good friend. Don't drink and drive, people. It's as simple as that.

-> the date last night went surprisingly well. Lawyer Guy (as we shall now call him) and I went to the market and picked up fresh salmon, went back to his place and made sushi (well, he did) and then watched The 40 Year Old Virgin. No, nothing happened so get that out of your head. He was a total gentleman and didn't lay a paw (or lips) on me. Hard to believe, I know. Will there be a third date? I think so... but the jury is still out on whether or not there is a spark.

-> I have been prepping for my interview on Wednesday like I have never prepared for an interview before in my life. I have filled out forms and applications with the greatest of care and I have been reviewing tough interview questions. I have been reading up on the company and its products. I want, I NEED, this job. I'll do my best not to drop to my knees and beg for it. Keep that mojo coming, kids!!

Oh, and ya know how you can tell it's an American company I am applying with? Two things: I was asked to fill out a waiver for a drug screening test. I was also asked to fill out a "voluntary applicant data record". The form reads: " 'our company' in an effort to comply with Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Laws and regulations, asks that you voluntarily complete this Affirmative Action Data sheet". Didja see that? Voluntarily asks us to complete it. Riiiiiight. Voluntarily. If you want the job that is. Just try using those forms in Canada, you'd never get away with it without someone raising a ruckus.

-> just for the hell of it I have included a gratuitous picture of my cat Isaac playing in tissue paper. go ahead, click the thumbnail for a larger dose. :-)