Wednesday, July 06, 2005
War of the Worlds
 
I'd like to thank Tom Cruise and Steven Spielberg for ensuring I had a fitful night's sleep. Let this be a lesson to you, kiddies.... no watching War of the Worlds just before you go to bed! The viewing of this movie coupled with the fact that this minor cold I've had since Sunday night that took a turn for the decidely worse last night, meant that I tossed and turned and got very little sleep. If I wasn't sitting up and hacking and coughing or fumbling my way into the bathroom in the dark for cold remedies, I was having nightmares that giant robots and aliens were taking over the world and I had to develop my emergency plan and begin to stock pile food. I kept falling asleep for 30 minutes here and there and each time I would pick up where I left off..... under attack and running for my life. It's safe to say I feel like complete garbage today at work and I can't wait to go home and go back to bed.

So what did I think of the movie? I liked it. It had it's scary moments and many times I caught myself holding my breath or tensed up because of the scene. When Tom hid behind a wall we ALL hid behind the wall and held our breath so as to not give him away. It was scary and sometimes even graphic... and made me wonder how all those 9 year olds in the theatre were going to sleep that night (little did I know it would become such a problem for me). I had read several reviews of the movie and they all said basically the same thing.... the movie is truly fantastic... until the ending. So I was a bit leery in terms of how it was going to end and yes, found that the ending fell a bit short. Not horribly so, but it was mildly disappointing. I'm not sure what kind of an ending would have satisfied me, but that one didn't do the trick. It was sufficient, but not on par with the rest of the movie.

As for the rest of the actors, I have to say (at the risk of sounding like I am hopping on the Dakota Fanning bandwagon)... that little girl has some *serious* talent. At one point while I was watching the movie I actually thought... this scene could not be pulled off if that girl didn't act so damn well. Tom would just look like a crying fool if it weren't for her extremely well played emotion that gave meaning and depth to the whole scene and gave meaning to the crying of Tom's character. It's a given that Tom, with all his experience and talent can cry on cue, but for this little girl to be able to convey such huge emotion at so young an age in life and career.... was truly impressive. I really have to tip my hat to this girl, she was amazing. Her big eyes told you exactly what she was seeing off camera, and it was terrifying. Her tears were huge and heartbreaking and you wanted to just scoop her up in your arms and sweep her away from all the bad and scary stuff.

Then there's Tim Robbins, who isn't getting nearly enough press for his character. Yes it's a fairly small role but he plays it so very well. Unlike his usual likeable chracters he comes across as a bit crazed and maniacal and it was very entertaining to watch. I applaud him for taking such a small role and making it his own, it was great.

Overall I still recommend it despite the weak ending, as the invasion for the first half of the movie is truly terrifying and scary. It's well worth it and it gets you thinking... what would *I* do in those circumstances?