Friday, May 13, 2005
Friday the 13th
 
I hadn't realized it was a 'Friday the 13th' today until I heard them discussing it on the television this morning. Since I was born on a Friday the 13th, such days tend to be lucky for me so I think I'll buy a few extra lottery tickets tonight and hope luck is on my side. The jackpot is up to $25 million which would be pretty damn sweet. Israel, here I come!

Tonight my buddy (who has been crashing at my place for the last 2 weeks) is going to teach me how to play poker. I have been nagging him to teach me for quite some time now and he finally got himself a lovely set of chips in a fancy metal case so he's wanting to try it out. The moons have aligned just right and all going well, I shall be playing poker by the end of the evening. I am slightly concerned that I'm going to go crazy for poker since I have been known to get extremely obsessive over cards games (euchre) in the past. Playing online, playing with anyone who is willing and sometimes those who weren't so willing. I love cards! I guess we'll see how I take to poker.... it might not be my game since I am possibly one of the worst liars ever. (btw, I'll ask again, does anybody here play euchre?? I'm *still* trying to find a good partner to play online with)

Well, I have been mulling over suggestions you, my fine readers, have offered for ways to raise funds for my 5 month trip to Israel. Though initially not sold on the idea I am now leaning in the direction of maybe creating a calendar. I like the idea because then you guys will get something in return for your money donated which makes me feel a bit better about it (since I'm not so keen on handouts). However, I have two concerns about it: (1) can I keep the cost of making them low enough that people will be willing to buy them? (2) how many should I make, keeping in mind that I have to put the money up front and if there are any left over calendars I will have to eat the cost.

With that in mind, let me ask you guys.... how much would be too much for a calendar? I think it's going to have to be at least $20-25 (CAN) in order to cover my costs and still make enough to collect money for the trip. And that's only a guess right now.. I may find that it's more like $30, and to me that seems steep. What do you guys think? It would be a nice calendar with photos I have taken (just of Israel? or some of my other photos too? let me know what you think! my photoblogs are here and here and here) and I would probably make it for Sept 2005 - Sept 2006 (it's only May afterall.... a 2006 calendar seems silly since 2006 is a good 6 months away, and the Jewish calendar runs from Sept - Sept).

Anyway, I'm going to start shopping around for prices this weekend, because I would have to put this together pretty quick, and I have no idea what I'm doing. If you have any other suggestions for fund raising PLEASE SPEAK UP!!! I need all the help I can get.

And speaking of Israel I have added a new blog "If you will it...". A young man from England and his adventures as a new immigrant in Israel. Check it out and show him some lovin', he's a great guy.

As a parting gift, I leave you with this video for the song Apache. It. Is. HILARIOUS. (hat tip: Geoff) Shabat Shalom!