Thursday, March 03, 2005
Bubba and the Pope
 
Did you all hear about this giant lobster named Bubba? Bubba was a 22 lb (10 kg) lobster that had been caught off the east coast of the United States. What was such a big deal was that Bubba was huge and therefore obviously old. Estimates put him somewhere around 100 years old. Imagine that!! This creature has lived longer than our grandparents... beyond two world wars... and dodged fisherman's nets for decades. When he was caught a big media frenzy ensued and there were squabbles over what to do with this overgrown crustacean. PETA wanted him spared and released back into the wild, but it was decided to move him to an aquarium the "Ripley's Believe It Or Not" museum. Leave it to us humans to exploit animals. *sigh* And of course as often happens in cases where we exploit fellow creatures, Bubba ended up dying. I actually gasped when I read about it this morning... I felt terrible that this poor creature survived all this time only to die at the hands of bickering, greedy human beings. Not a glorious death for such an old noble creature. Yes, he was a lobster, but he didn't deserve to die like that. Poor Bubba.

According to the Pope: "Homosexual marriages are part of "a new ideology of evil" that is insidiously threatening society". Words cannot express the rage this stirs in me. I feel a rant coming on about this soon. I apologize to my Catholic readers, but I have no love lost for your Pope. I think he keeps his head in the sand and is not in touch with the reality of what's really going on in the world. He tries to apply old ideologies to a new world, and clearly they don't stand the test of time. Sadly, it's comments like this that will continue to breed hate and gay bashing. This is right up there with him telling people not to wear condoms in a world where AIDS is a very real and growing issue. And he's supposed to be a leader.

Animal right groups are freaking out over a new gummy/candy that is out on the market that depicts roadkill. There are a thousand things I could say on this, but I'll refrain (for Bubba's sake). Just click this link and have a look at the picture showing the candy... snake roadkill, complete with tire treads across his back. You will also find chicken and squirrel roadkill which makes me wonder... just where are YOU from that chickens are often roadkill?? Maybe I'm just being a crazy Canadian here, but I'm thinking roadkill is mostly squirrels, skunks, raccoons and occasionally rabbits. Mostly I am amused that not only did someone dream this little gem up one day in a marketing office, but that his boss actually stamped his approval on it thinking it wouldn't offend. Hoo boy, someone's gonna git fired!

For your daily dose of Israel goodness I'd like to direct your attention to a new blog, Israelity. I would like for both my Jewish, and more importantly, my NON-Jewish readers to go check it out. Why? Because there you will find a group blog written by Israelis as they discuss everyday life in Israel. Why is it different? You will see no talk of politics. You will get a feel for what actual day-to-day life is like there. This is important because the world needs to understand that Israelis are just people too.. trying to make their way in life. Please pay it a visit.

Oh and for something amusing go check out the blog Go Fug Yourself. It's a hilarious blog that takes a look at stars and their atrocious fashion faux-paus, with a recent additions from the Oscars, of course. As the blog says, "Fugly is the new Pretty".