Wednesday, July 16, 2008
moving right along...
 
Anyone else interested in flogging a dead horse with an unwelcome and self righteous guest who has scary and narrow minded points view? No? Let's move on then, shall we?

I'd like to start a new feature that I have had rolling around in my head for a long long time now. Until I think of a catchier title for it, it'll be known as the "ridiculous CNN.com headline of the day". You see..... I spend a lot of time on various news websites throughout the day and CNN.com offers me an often amusing point of view. It's amusing in that, I enjoy seeing what the folks at CNN consider important news.... important enough to make their headlines at the top/front of their page. If you don't know what I'm referencing, go have a look. We'll wait here.

Ok, so when you go to the webpage you will see the "big" headline of the moment, accompanied by a picture. Then to the right you will see another list of headlines that they deem important enough to make the top 20.... and this is generally where I start to have a good laugh. Allow me to cite an example.

"Cerebral palsy boy mows lawns"

Now before any of you go off on me, I am not laughing AT the boy and his condition (or that fact that he mows lawns in said condition) but I am questioning how this was a headline. Unquestionably, it's a heartwarming story about a boy who is doing things against all odds, but REALLY? A headline?? Why not scroll down and put it in your "Health" or "Living" section?

But here is where I really have to question CNN and their taste; do you not find it just a little bit disturbing that you actually SELL T-SHIRTS with that headline on it?? Has anyone seen this? If you go look at that top 20 list of headlines there are a special chosen few that have a little t-shirt icon next to them that indicates you can actually buy a t-shirt, that in this case says "Cerebral Palsy boy mows lawns" * I just saw it on CNN.com -7:24pm 07.12.2008"

I kid you not, folks.

It'll go nicely with my "Man sticks finger in big cat cage" t-shirt, don't you think?
Am I the only one who finds this crazy and tasteless?? Blecch.

Labels: ,