Friday, December 10, 2004
yes, I am a marketer's dream.
 
My ability to both write a new post and read other blogs has been seriously impaired thanks to a highly incompetent IT guy we have at work. We have been without internet access of any sort for nearly two days. The first day was sheer panic coupled with a twinge of depression, but today I reached of point of just giving in to the reality of the situation. Not surprisingly I was the most productive I have been in months at work today because I had nothing better to do. Yes, I am somewhat ashamed to admit that.

Moving right along, I'd like to talk about a creepy new product on the market that Pepsi has put out called "Holiday Spice". It is apparently a "spiced cola". The first time I saw it was in a commercial, and while I am a loyal Coke drinker I am also a sucker for marketing and new food products so my interest was piqued. However, I presumed immediately that it was likely only available in the United States, since we get a LOT of American commercials for stuff we don't get here (like short lived, and in all likelihood, bad marketing ploys). Anyway, I felt it was my duty to try it when I spotted it in the refrigerator section at the gas station.

So here it is beside me. First observation: it's red. Not black. RED. In my world that means it is no longer a cola. Second observation: this stuff is UBER bubbly. Yeah, I know, it's a carbonated beverage. But this stuff is so bubbly it looks like there is a bubble wall in it, constantly blowing bubbles up to the surface. It's bizarre. Ah but how is the taste, you ask? Loathe as I am to admit it, it's not the worst thing I have ever tasted. I won't be buying it ever again, but it was worth a try. The "holiday spice" is of course cinnamon and ginger, and it took a few sips for me to get past the cola taste and really hone in on the spices (which can only mean my tastebuds are shot all to hell because now I can taste nothing BUT the spice. I cannot possibly explain what took my tastebuds so long to wake up). Once I got a good taste of it I had terrible flashbacks to the time I ate Scooby-Doo cereal, the worst cinnamon cereal I have ever let touch my lips (in fact, it has ruined all cinnamon flavoured cereal for me. thanks for nothing, Scoob!).

In the end I have to say that if you want to try something different you might as well give it a shot, though I am proud that Coke hasn't turned out such a ridiculous product for the season. And if you're into strange flavoured beverages give Sprite Ice a try. At first I was repulsed by the idea of adding mint to a lemon-lime pop, but in fact it was quite tasty and refreshing. What can I say? I will try almost any new product at least once. Of course my favourites are still Cherry Coke and Vanilla Coke. Oh how I love them so. Which are your favourites? (here's a really cool list of Coke products, sorted into a timeline. some I didn't even know were from the makers of Coke!)

Shabat Shalom and a continued Happy Chanukah.