Tuesday, December 28, 2004
HELP.
 
Tears welled in my eyes as I watched the film footage of the tsunami disaster on the news this morning. It wasn't the dead bodies that got to me, it was the clip showing a terrified group of people clinging to a piece of wreckage as racing water flowed around them. Moments later two of them were swept away, likely never to be seen again. I was mortified as I saw the terror on their faces as they were washed away. I can't stand all this pain anymore, it's eating at my soul. I even wrote to World Vision Canada to ask if I could join any volunteers who are heading overseas to help with the relief effort. I feel helpless and wish I could do more.

The numbers being reported seem to change hourly, with some reports saying it's now 56,000. I think we can all agree this is only the beginning and that thousands more will die. This is a catastrophic event that will change our generation and the future of the world. It will go into the history books as one of the worst natural disasters ever.

For more information being continually updated please check out the Tsunami Help Blog. There you will find news and information about resources, aid, donations and volunteer efforts. The blog is extremely well done and updates news as fast as it comes in.

If you still haven't donated there is an extensive list of organizations over at The Command Post. I implore you to go, choose one, and donate whatever you feel comfortable with. As the saying goes, every little bit DOES help. I chose the Canadian Red Cross, but you may choose whatever organization you like. However, Red Cross takes donations as small as $5 online (Canadian dollars!) so if you can only afford a little may I suggest you try there.

Sometimes it takes a world crisis to bring us all together to work towards one goal.
Please join the effort.