Wednesday, January 16, 2008
seeing the world through new eyes
 
My what a different world it is indeed....... wow. Who knew there was that much detail in the carpet?? Or how utterly fascinating the stipple on the ceiling is? (ok, maybe only to those who can see after eye surgery to correct his/her vision) Then again, it's less than exciting to be able to see just how filthy my home really is. It could very well turn me into a clean freak.

I went for my second follow up visit after my laser eye surgery and things seem to be going really well. I have been declared to have 20/15 vision, which is better than most people who don't need glasses! Yeeha! My cornea is about 30% healed which is expected after a week. It takes a good 2 - 3 months to fully and properly heal, though I am good to drive and do everything else. Further healing just means fine tuning..... right now I still see a bit of a glow around LCD readings on things like clocks and VCRs. I'm struggling a bit with being able to read properly as my eyes relearn how to see things up close. The biggest difficulty I am still struggling with is dry eyes.... something my doctor promises me will get better after a month (doesn't help that it's winter). I have become quite proficient at administering eyedrops to myself.

Overall I am very happy and find it amusing when I catch myself still looking for my glasses when I plop down on the couch to watch tv or get in the car to drive. I had those glasses for 20 years so it's going to take me a while to get used to the idea I don't need them anymore. If anyone is considering this procedure, I say go for it. It's one of the greatest gifts you could ever give yourself and as scary as the operation may sound to some, it's over with so fast that anyone can do it. There is some pain and discomfort but even that subsides within 6 hours.... it's amazing. I have had a lot of surgeries in my time and that was the easiest recovery I've had, hands down.

Anyway, I went away for the weekend to take my new eyes for a spin somewhere outside my own environment to see what I could see. It was nice and would have been better if only I hadn't come home with a souvenir cold. Ack! My throat is killing me. Nothing like having to rest after nearly 2 weeks of vacation! ;-)